KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Coroner’s Inquest into the death of entertainer ‘Kentucky Kid’ (given name Robert Hill) has ruled that three police officers and two civilians be charged with murder.
The inquest into the controversial shooting death of the 37-year-old entertainer began on September 28, 2010 in the Kingston and St Andrew Coroner’s Court and ended yesterday, Tuesday, August 12, when the Jury gave the verdict.
Presiding Coroner, Patrick Murphy ordered that warrants be issued for the arrest of the five — all of whom were absent at the time of the verdict.
Hill was killed at his home in Kingston on December 9, 2009 by the police who claimed that he was fatally injured in a shoot-out when they went in search of him.
Before his death Hill made several complaints to a number of bodies including the Police Public Complaints Authority (PPCA) and Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) concerning incidents involving the police and expressed fear for his life and the safety of his family.
He also posted online videos which he claimed showed abuse against him at the hands of the police.
Hill pleaded for help alleging that elements in the police force were conspiring to intimidate him in order to dissuade him from pursuing complaints against the police arising from a motor vehicle accident in Spanish Town, on July 11, 2009.
Dancehall.Mobi news update – local human rights watchdog group, Jamaicans For Justice (JFJ), has vowed that it will not allow the recent shooting death of up & coming deejay Kentucky Kid (real name – Robert Hill) by the police to be swept under the carpet, and is demanding that the police’s Bureau of Special Investigations (which investigates alleged police wrong doings) conduct a very speedy an intensive investigation in order to clarify the circumstances surrounding Kentucky Kid’s death.
In a statement issued yesterday, Carolyn Gomes of the JFJ said, “The JFJ is deeply appalled, disturbed and saddened by the slaying of Hill by members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).” Kentucky Kid had previously complained that the police were harassing and threatening him since a July 2009 motor vehicle accident involving his car and a police car that allegedly ran a red light. He had said that he and his wife (who was pregnant) were harassed and physically assaulted at least twice since the motor vehicle accident.
He posted this video to his YouTube page after the incidents, outlining all that he was going through at the hands of alleged rogue police.